Random musings with an aviation flavor, natch.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Scientists vs. Engineers in the cockpit

I'm a science and engineering librarian for my day job, and have worked with both disciplines for years. The similarities and differences fascinate me.

Mostly I've flown with lots of engineers - when I got back into aviation, it was thanks to engineers at the company where I worked, and my primary instructor the second time round was an engineer (electrical), and most of the folks in my current flying club are enginers.

I've had the fun to fly with a physicist now, and he is good! Equally precise in checklists and data and such as the engineers, but seems a bit less inclined to keep adjusting settings!

Of course, this is an enormous generalization based on only one guy and one experience, but it does seem to hold with physicists' traits vs. engineers' traits I've observed at work, too!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jason said...

Great blog post, thanks for an interesting read

2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home